Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Perseverance



I've no idea what prompted me to pick up Jodi Picoult's thought-provoking novel Nineteen Minutes this morning. Many of Picoult's books sit on my keeper shelf. The brilliance of her writing lies in her ability to simultaneously entertain and make us think.

While re-reading the first few pages of Nineteen Minutes, I noticed the use of time as a motif. Time made me think of writers who are overnight successes versus those who struggle for years. Jodi is apparently thought of as an overnight success.

Tonight I went to her website. I did not go there looking for inspiration. In truth, I have no explanation for why I visited her site and decided to click over to her podcast page. But once there, I found what I needed in her podcast If at First you Don't Succeed. As I listened, I heard words of honesty. Words of loyalty. Words that reminded me that behind seemingly overnight success there often lies a paper trail of rejections. Words that reminded me the only thing writers can control is the writing itself.

Jodi is so eloquent, I urge writers to visit her website and listen to her experiences and her words of wisdom. Click on the link and go to Podcasts: http://www.jodipicoult.com/.

No comments: